Friday, August 14, 2009

You Are Under Arrest

"You are under arrest!" No, not me, but a person I saw. I was in the Post Office mailing a small package this morning. There was a Law Enforcement Agent that was talking to a lady there. The first thing I heard was something to the effect of, "I am asking you to leave again." I will say that he was very subdued and not loud at all. She said, "I am not doing anything." The I heard, "They have asked you to leave three times. (I guess the postal personnel.) If you do not leave now I will arrest you." "I am not doing anything!" (Plus some other comments that did not mean anything to me.) The cop says, "Okay, you are under arrest." And then he took her by the arm and started to take her out towards his patrol car. I heard her say, "I am not under arrest." A bit later when I saw her in the back of patrol with handcuffs on I figured that she was wrong. I have a feeling that she was trying to get resisting arrest added to any charge that was against her by her actions in the car.

I do not know what was going on in the Post Office and judging by the looks on the faces of th patrons and on the employees faces I think they were puzzled by the situation too. I cannot imagine any thing that I would do in a Post Office that would lead to being asked to leave much less having the police called. Maybe it could happen for some causes but I don't think any of those would ever happen in a Post Office and not all by myself. Plus add to that I think unless it was really a serious protest of some sort I would leave quickly if I heard, "If you do not leave now, I will arrest you." It was an interesting situation. I don't know if I really would like to know more about the situation or not.

I had another interesting situation earlier in the week. I decided all on my own that my daughter needed her rain gutters cleaned. It is something that I had done before for her. Because of the location of the drains on one side of the house I had to reposition the ladder a dozen times and climb up and down every time. By the time I was done with that side I was already tired. Now the other side of the house was quite different. There were bushes by the house. So putting the ladder between them and the house makes the angle too steep for comfort, but doable. If the ladder was place outside the bushes the ladder was leaning too far for comfort, but also doable. I chose the too steep angle like I had done years before. I could get most of the gutter from one location and got all cleaned except a couple feet. I guess I should have been wearing long pants instead of shorts. I am down to the last two foot and trying to find somewhere to set my foot and every time I moved my legs the bushes are trying to poke, grab, and scratch. Suddenly I felt the ladder pulling away from the house and I was sitting down into the middle of the bushes. The tree behind kept the ladder upright and the bush kept me from hitting the ground. However my feet were higher up than my behind. I had quite a time getting my feet on the ground and the rest of me upright. To finish the last two foot I put the ladder on the outside of the bushes. I did not like the angle but there was not chance of making another hole in the bushes with my body. And that is the place the ladder will go next time I clean the gutters. Already I am getting ready to volunteer for that job.

There are many farmers markets located around the country. Many of them are located totally outdoors or they only operate during the summer time. In parts of the south they might operate more in the winter instead of the summer. Here in Rochester there is one that has both indoor booths, outdoor covered areas and totally outdoors areas. It has been operating for well over a hundred years all year long. If there is any home grown produce that is in season it can be found at the Public Market. I have seen varieties of produce there that I have never seen anywhere else. It can be very cold out there in the middle of winter and I have been there. It is interesting too because of all the different ethnic groups that shop there. You can hear so many languages there and see clothing of many different countries. It is a fun place to visit.


ROCHESTER FARMERS MARKET

We will be starting to travel again before I write here again. As I have said to many of you before we do not have a destination decided yet. I heard that there has been up to two inches of snow forecasted for parts of the US and that is an indication that it is time to start thinking about heading south. My sandals just do not fit well in the snow.

Till Later This Is Uncle Duck

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading some of your blog. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete