Saturday, September 12, 2009

Half A Million Dollars

We got through with our week in Vicksburg and have moved to the Lake Conroe, Texas area. We are back in a campground that we have been in before and will never forget. Slightly over three years ago when we were here we were awakened by sirens. A motor home was on fire just down the street from us and the fire fighters were getting it under control. The lady that lived in it was severely burned and taken to the hospital. We never heard how she was, except bad, before we left. We asked if there was more information when we checked in. It was bad for sure. The burns of the lady became infected and caused her death. The worst part was that we learned that she had gone back into the motor home to get a roll of money and because of that her husband had to drag her through the flames to get her out at all. Sometime after the fire was put out and someone went through the ashes the roll of money was found. The bank was able to replace all the partly burn money. She lost her life for a roll of money that was replaced. The only thing that was good that we heard was that the husband recovered from his burns and has gotten life back together and is actually camping here in the resort now. I am thinking that I might go see him. I liked him when I met him before the fire. The thing that keeps going through my mind is that the things that are lost in a fire are replaceable, but the life that might be lost is not. I don't know what I would think in a similar situation, but right now I plan to run FAST and FAR.


THE RV THAT BURNED IN 2006 NOT A WHOLE LOT LEFT

Have you ever seen a half million dollars, or a million dollars. I have never seen it in an intimate way. I have seen a million dollars worth of gold in the Denver mint. I have also seen over a million dollars in twenties in the Bureau Of Engraving in Dallas, Texas. At neither place was very close. I was closest to the gold, it was perhaps eight foot away, behind a very thick glass window. Both piles were rather small. In Jackson, Mississippi I saw a half million dollars that was a pretty good sized. But then it was all in pennies. That was impressive and I was closer to that than I have been to any other large amount of money. Right across the street from the Capitol Building was a display, I guess that is what it was, that was made of Plexiglas and had fifty million pennies in it. It was impressive to say the least. I could not help but wonder about the time that a car or truck misses the corner and plows into it. That is going to be a lot of pennies to pick up. I also hope that I never get the job of putting all those pennies into rolls to take to the bank. It will take a million rolls to do that. No one will ask me to help.


FIFTY MILLION PENNIES IN A DISPLAY IN JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI

The last week has been a problem week with my computer. It would start up, run a minute or two, and then shut down. It took a while but I think I have solved the problem. I have been working today for several hours and it is still running. Knock on wood for me. But be sure you only wake up the good spirits.

Till later this is Uncle Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment