Monday, November 2, 2009

Butterflies In The Park

This is the earliest that we have been in Texas in our five years of travel. From what I have heard of the weather up north we picked a good year to be south. We have had a few days that were in the 90's here in Mission while there are places where we were exactly a year ago that have seen temperatures in the teens. I am sure glad that I have not seen those temperatures. It appears to me that many other Winter Texans are arriving earlier this year that in years past. I do not have a doubt that the cold is a factor.

This part of Texas is supposed to be along the migration path of many butterflies. I really believe that to be true based on what I have seen in the last ten days or so. In driving between Rockport and Mission it seemed that the air was constantly filled with butterflies crossing the highways. I hate to hit any kind of bugs because they make such a mess on the windshield. But I feel even worse when the bugs are butterflies because they are such beautiful insects. I would not hazard a guess as to how many were killed by my motor home, but I saw another motor home that had a screen in front of the grill that had so many on it that the bodies must have blocked the airflow to the engine. At least my engine is in the rear

There are several gardens here in Bentsen Grove that attract numerous varieties of butterfly that vary from a half inch wingspan to a wingspan of perhaps three or four inches. When I have tried to photograph them they show me the meaning of flit like a butterfly. I very much believe that the great pictures of really high quality were the result of hours of patience with a camera just waiting for the perfect shot while the camera is pointed at a single blossom. The rest are the product of good luck.


BUTTERFLY IN A GARDEN ON "B" STREET


BUTTERFLY IN BENTSEN GROVE


"B" STREET BUTTERFLIES

The activities that we want to be involved in are starting. Line dancing will be available every day, more than I can handle. The computer club is back on a weekly schedule as of today (Monday) and the sessions were a bit rough but I am sure things will smooth out. I hope that we are providing the information needed by the attendees. I am going to be the photographer for the picture board which displays a picture of each resident. There were people from eight sites last Wednesday and it is still early in the year. It took me a couple hours to figure out how to print the pictures so I could get a print the size I need for the board. Next Wednesday it should be a lot faster to complete.

This year was the first time that we have been able to attend the Halloween Party at Bentsen Grove. There were a lot of people who came for an evening of entertainment and fellowship and they got plenty of entertainment. There were fourteen people who dressed up in costume to participate in a contest. As always the costumes were good. I especially liked a couple and one of them got the first prize. But of course I have liked the story of the Invisible Man ever since I first read it probably more than fifty-five years ago.


THE INVISIBLE MAN

We have been here a bit over a week. I feel as if it is impossible for us to have been here that long already and it also feels like it is just a continuation of the time when we were here last May. It is an odd feeling if I take the time to think about it.

Till later this is Uncle Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment