Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Forty six

It was forty-six years ago that I went to a little white steepled church in Willis, Kansas and did something that I would do again if I was suddenly transported back to that time. I got married. I got a bride that I took to my home in Colorado. Erma joined me in a place that she had never seen, or had not even seen a picture. Some time later I remember thinking that I had hit a milestone when I had been married more than half the time that I had been in Colorado. There were other milestones that came frequently. I was married a length of time longer than I had known Erma, and then it seemed soon that I was married more years than I had been in school. Now I have been married more than two thirds of my life. At least my life so far, I do intend to live longer and be married longer too.

I have always had one problem with the day that I was married. I have never been able to remember which of two dates we got married. I am lucky in that one way. If a man forgets his anniversary and he is late he is in trouble, however if he is early he is just anxious to celebrate. I will never be late but I might be a day early. I was either married three days after Christmas or three days before New Years. Well it was on the 29th, which is three days before New Years Day, by my way of counting. My wife gave up on me years ago.

I must have told some friends of mine it was the 28th because they wanted to take us out. They had also invited several other couples to go with us, but we did not know that. One of the couple was one with whom we had celebrated their anniversary just shortly before. It was pretty special to be with a group for our anniversary. I recommend it to others too.

We spent Christmas Day here in the park. Again the park provided turkeys to be cooked and many people cooked them at home. It is a good thing that a lot of people have standard sized ovens. We could not cook a full sized turkey in our oven. It is a microwave/convection oven that is not much larger than a large microwave. In addition to the turkeys every person brought a dish to share. Like any meal of that sort there was a lot of food, more food than twice as many people needed. There was nearly 500 people that attended the meal. It was divided into several groups, and each group had three or four long tables loaded with food. In fact there were so many people that two buildings were needed to hold everybody. People always hope that all the food they take to a pot luck will be eaten so they don't have to take any home. Erma and I are no different of course. We were not disappointed either. Both the spinach balls that Erma made and the stuffed mushrooms that I made disappeared down to the last crumbs. The fact that they are different and very good helps.


OUR ORANGE GROUP HAD OVER A HUNDRED PEOPLE

It seems that I am constantly helping someone with their computer. I am not sure how I got myself into a situation where I do so much of this kind of work. But I guess it is because I seem to be able to get results and I want people to be able to enjoy their computers. One thing for sure is that having a computer that is not doing what a person needs to have it do IS NOT ENJOYABLE. Some of the problems that people have are really simple to solve, but if I cannot solve the problem then there are two of us that are frustrated. One of the problems have a lot of trouble with is an anti-virus program. We try to load AVG and it takes so long that the chance of failure is high. Therefore it may need to be loaded several times before there is success. I have have success with every computer that has had fair access speed to the Internet, but some connections are too slow to be effective. I need another solution.

I have a friend that is coming into the airport tonight about 10:30. It has been along time since I have been in an airport later than 9:00 or so. Years ago we had a tradition of going out Stapleton Airport in Denver and having strawberry pie after midnight in the first few minutes of a New Year. Then one year we went out there with a young daughter and friends and they had taken the pie off the menu. There went a fun New Years tradition. As odd as it may seem New Years has not been the same since then. We still have fun but I never fail to miss the outing to a now non-existent airport.

If there are people that read this from the northern US I will apologize ahead of time. Our temperature here tomorrow is supposed to be up in the 70's. I keep seeing so many reports of snow and hear that it is cold too. I sure am glad that I am here in the southern part of Texas and the possibility of snow is very small. I just got Roger from the airport and he says that where he left is fourteen degrees. I am glad that I was not there.

So to all of you readers, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Till later this is Uncle Duck

1 comment: